Sunday, July 5, 2009

New Start Page

After several Qt 4.6 features it is time to add a feature that everyone can enjoy. This weekend we merged in a new simple start page that Arora will use as the default home page starting in 0.8.0. A big thanks goes to Fernando Lemos who created it. The page is integrated with the search box using QtWebKit's Javascript bridge. This means that whatever you have currently selected in the search box will be used in the start page, i.e. Google is not hardcoded.

Please report any usability/design related suggestions.

3 comments:

Sterling Winter said...

I've never bothered with home pages, but this one looks tasteful and functional enough to get me to give it a try.

BTW, why do your screenshots appear to be Clearlooks-themed GTK? :)

Benjamin Meyer said...

For some reason KDE 4.2 causes my desktop to hang about once a day (kwin?) forcing me to kill X11. I was unable to determine why so I switched to Gnome until KDE 4.3 comes out.

Jan said...

It is ... empty. Fill the space with some kind of fast-dial, few search engines fields, some recently added bookmarks and few recently closed tabs like SRWare Iron does.