First off a big thanks to everyone who contributed to this release:
Jakub Wieczorek firstname.lastname@example.org
Benjamin C Meyer email@example.com
Benjamin K. Stuhl firstname.lastname@example.org
Zsombor Gegesy email@example.com
Tom Gundersen firstname.lastname@example.org
Jonas Gehring email@example.com
Aurélien Gâteau firstname.lastname@example.org
Shortly before 0.8.0 we had our 1000'th commit to Arora. A big thanks to everyone who helped make that possible.
Between 0.7.1 and today Qt 4.5.2 was release. There was a number of fixes in this release that effect Arora. For the complete list see the Qt 4.5.2 changelog Some highlights include:
- A big QtWebKit Memory leak was fixed
- Several QtWebKit security bugs were fixed
- Several QtWebKit segfaults were fixed
- Fixed a leak of file descriptors in QTemporaryFile::rename, introduced in 4.5.1. This was the bug that forced Arora to always turn off the disk cache when using Qt 4.5.1. With disk cache as you would expect Arora can perform much faster.
- QNetworkCookie, Fixed parsing of multiple cookies separated by a newline (also introduced in 4.5.1). This is what broke many site logins such as facebook.
As you can see it is highly advisable to upgrade to Qt 4.5.2 on Linux if your distribution hasn't already. Both the Windows and OS X binary packages include Qt 4.5.2.
Lots of improvements and features were added in 0.8.0. We have been blogging about a number of the features, but here are two more:
In the current version of the Inspector you can now see the headers for a page. Because of this the Network monitor which was added just a little bit ago has been removed.
For those who still want to use the network monitor you can easily do it with git and revert 12ebaf4f60f804c0200a61e8fdbc62c935588184.
Another Qt 4.6 feature is the ability to highlight searches:
The full changelog:
- When the ctrl key is pressed show keyboard accelerators on the screen. [Qt 4.6 only].
- Location bar: implement full text search and more accurate sorting.
- Add a simple start page with a search box pointing at the active search engine.
- Allow to create new open search engines from any input forms displayed in websites [Qt 4.6 only].
- Add a menu to set the default text encoding for all rendering [Qt 4.6 only].
- Implement directory listing when accessing file:/// URLs that point to directories.
- When a POST request is about to be resent, warn user about that fact to make sure that the operation is intended.
- Add a checkable push button to the search bar that allows to highlight a specific string in a website [Qt 4.6 only].
- Add a setting that specifies if the url supplied by the user should be forwarded to the default search engine if it isn't valid.
- Show a more verbose message when the htmlToXBel tool is not installed.
- Show the complete tab title as tool tip to improve GUI usability for long website titles.
- Download manager: Create the download directory as needed.
- Location bar: If escape is pressed on location bar revert to the original URL, this emulates the firefox behaviour.
- Add Google "I'm Feeling Lucky" search engine to the default set.
- Drag & Drop: Add the ability to drop an url on the tab bar which will open it in a new tab.
- Drag & Drop: Allow dropping URLs on the location bar.
- When creating new windows, use the startup setting to decide if the homepage should be loaded.
- Remove the network monitor tool as the current Inspector now lets you see request headers and response headers.
- Fix several memory leaks: set the Qt::WA_DeleteOnClose flag on dialogs that are executed asynchronously.
- Download manager: Fix displaying file size when downloading huge files.
- Download manager: Give correct name to downloaded files with no suffix.
- Location bar: Fix background color when using Oxygen style.
- Bookmarks manager: Don't allow to edit the url in any nodes but normal bookmarks.
- Private browsing now disables the disk cache.
Behind the scenes
- Added custom network scheme handlers, i.e. a single one for listing local directories.
- Add a setting so the user can swap the location of the new and close tab buttons.
- Add the ability for a user to specify the userAgent through QSettings.
- Split up the bookmarks classes into separate files.
- Remake the bookmarks toolbar.
- Clean up the AddBookmarkDialog class.
- OpenSearch: Implement the Referrer extension.
- Implement the WebPage::linkedResources() method using the DOM API.
- Tweak the certToFormattedString() function.
- OpenSearch: localization improvements.
- Include an additional XML file in the installation, which will make Arora appear in Gnome Control Center on the list of available web browsers that can be set as default.
- Add man pages for the tools.
- webkit.pri now supports building QtWebKit as a framework on mac.